Submitted by: Dina Youssef
Project: Activating the role of Libraries' specialist of young cadres in Great Cairo governorates
Together for trained Libraries' specialist and qualified youth for the labor market
- New Central Library at Cairo University, civil society
- General society for talented care- the implementing authority, nongovernmental organizations
- Sawiris Foundation for Social Development – the Financing agency
Common interest for the parties
Social responsibility and supporting human development in the Egyptian society formed the common denominator between the ambitions and hopes of the collaborative parties.
Libraries and other types of information institutions play a vital role in the advancement of societies and drives them from the state of cognitive recession to positive and effective activities in various spheres of life.
Information institutions are described as the heartbeat of information and knowledge communities and at the same time the institutions of communities memory.
Human development at all levels has become an imperative requirement for people’s preparation in their different scientific specialties and professional roles. This should be achieved by attaining the required skills that enable them reach a performance at the highest level of precision and perfection.
This project is known as "activating the role of Libraries' specialist of young cadres “in Great Cairo governorates" under the slogan of (together for trained Libraries' specialist and qualified youth for the labor market) for a two year period (2009-2010).
The project aimed at developing and raising the skills for 100 of young cadres to activate the role of Libraries' specialist to qualify them to fulfill the requirements of labor market, and provide 100 of true work opportunities to them in private and government schools, institutions, NGOs, public Libraries and children's Libraries as well as private companies in Great Cairo Governorates. It also included as part of it an implementation of the training of trainers activity (T.O.T) where 10 trainees were selected from the elite graduates group.
It was a continuous work in terms of theoretical and practical application of training, workshops, field visits, and processing for graduation projects, qualifying participants for labor market, and to provide job opportunities for Libraries' specialist and help them be able to perform their mission.
Advantages of the program
- Planning, processing, implementing and evaluating the program in successive stages has been realized through a collaboration between a number of institutions of governmental scientific community, represented in (New Central Library at Cairo University), and the civil society, and nongovernmental organizations (General society for talented care- the implementing authority) and the Financing agency (Sawiris Foundation for Social Development).
- The program did not only aim at training a group of young graduates and qualifying them to the labor market and provide them with the necessary skills for business needs, but it also aimed at employing them after training. This contributed in a direct practical way in providing true work opportunities to each trainee who was able to pass the training program successfully. This has encouraged many authorities and organizations to grant those graduates work opportunities that commensurate with their qualifications and skills, thereby increasing their chances of success in the roles they carry out in these institutions. This particular aspect of the project has increased remarkably the demand of people to attend the training program.
- Despite of the immense preparations, planning and coordination between all collaborators entities prior to the program, the evaluation and development process didn’t stop with the beginning and during implementation of the program. The teamwork followed an approach of continuous assessment for the development of content and training methods, for increasing the chances of achieving a higher level of quality, proficiency and effectiveness. The next phase of the program had seen a further development, as a result of internal and external constant assessment as well as the study of labor market requirements, where it was clear that there is a growing need for Libraries' specialist in computer, archiving and documentation companies.
As for the Training program’s content, it was taken into account, when planning it, and through its development phases, that it should include most skills that form a comprehensive specialist’s personality and an integrated system in the performance of workflow. These skills were classified into:
- Personal skills (as a general requirement for specialist's personality)
- Professional skills (as a general requirement to Library' specialist work)
- To achieve top results out of the program, the organizers got an assistance from characteristic human expertise who have a significant scientific position in the Egyptian universities and developmental bodies, with their experience and practical expertise that was proved at the level of both Egyptian and Arab levels to carry out the task of training in this project.
In conclusion … this project was the true, real and promising base that added to our Egypt community and a ground for upgrading the knowledge of people and the growth of society.
We can describe this program as a model that can be generalized between civil society organizations and governmental community institutions to create a new generation of young people well formed to follow the vast advancement of the information and communication technology.
Last update: 8 July 2014