International Workshop on the Development and Implementation of Online National Bibliographies in French-Speaking West Africa
IFLA together with the Direction Nationale des Bibliothèques et de la Documentation Bibliothèque nationale du Mali are carrying out a project to develop and hold a 5 day workshop on the Development and Implementation of Online National Bibliographies in French-Speaking West African Countries.
The project includes:
A five day workshop
The workshop will:
- Provide the state of the art of legislation and rules on legal deposit in the participating countries, bring out the African specificities and suggest improvements.
- Define a collection strategy for references to documents not covered by legal deposit or for which legal deposit has not been carried out.
- Study the IFLA recommendations, taking into account African specificities, especially in the field of multilingualism
- Study and use a tool for data management, and the creation and online production of a national bibliography
- Recommend a cost‐free software appropriate for the creation of an database
- Formulate recommendations for the creation and online production of national bibliographies taking into account the new recommendations for the creation and maintenance of national bibliographies from the IFLA Bibliographies Section
- Formulate recommendations for cooperation. Provide a model for use in other African countries
Publication of the papers of the workshop
Papers presented at the workshop will be published and disseminated widely in French-Speaking West Africa. A report will also be made to relevant IFLA sections at the 2011 Congress in Puerto Rico.
Project reports and news
Overview, report and recommendations from the project:
Technical Report (English)
Projet Rapport Technique (Français)
Last update: 5 October 2012