6 January 2011
Call for nominations: IFLA Copyright and other Legal Matters (CLM) Committee
On behalf of the Governing Board of IFLA, I am writing to you to invite you to nominate an individual to a place on the IFLA/CLM Committee.
The deadline for the receipt of nominations* at IFLA Headquarters is Wednesday, 23 February 2011. No late submissions will be accepted.
The Committee advises the Federation and its constituent groups on:
- Copyright and intellectual property
- Economic and trade barriers to the acquisition of library and information materials
- Disputed claims of ownership of library and information materials
- Authenticity of electronic texts
- Subscription and licence agreements
- Other legal matters of international significance to library and information services
I enclose a list of the current members of the committee. As you will see, there are 19 vacancies for the term of office 2011-2015.
Only one nomination will be accepted from each member. In selecting the members of the Committee from amongst those nominated, the Governing Board has adopted a policy of appointing only one member from any one country. The Board also takes into account the need to ensure wide geographical representation on the Committee. Members are urged to nominate only those who have significant interest and expertise in the issues within the Committee's terms of reference.
Nominees should have:
- a reasonable expectation of being able to attend (without cost to IFLA) the business and professional meetings of the Committee. The meetings are usually held before and during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress beginning in San Juan, Puerto Rico in August 2011 and up to and including 2015;
- the ability to report authoritatively on the state of affairs in their own countries and regions in respect of copyright and other legal matters listed above;
- demonstrated knowledge about and activity focused on copyright and libraries within their country;
- a working knowledge of at least one of the working languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Spanish and Russian). Business is conducted generally in English so competence in English is necessary to enable participation, but it is also important to have a good representation of the IFLA working languages; and
- the ability and willingness to contribute regularly to the work of the committee in between congresses by email.
The completed nomination forms will be sent to the chair of the Committee, Winston Tabb. He will be asked to make recommendations to the Governing Board on the selection of names from amongst those nominated.
The maximum size of the IFLA/CLM committee is 27 members.
The Governing Board will appoint the members of the Committee at its meeting during the week beginning 18 April 2011. Successful nominees will be informed as soon as possible after the meeting so that they can make arrangements to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in San Juan, Puerto Rico, 13-18 August 2011.
Please use only the enclosed nomination form. It must be signed by the authorised signatory. This is the individual who is listed in IFLA's records as the organization's highest official and whose name appears on the attached nomination form.
I am looking forward to receiving your response.
*Missing nomination forms can be requested from IFLA HQ at firstname.lastname@example.org